Amira's newsletter

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Our Rainforrest






Whilst I was away on one of my weekly work trips (yep - I have heaps of frequent flyer points and am already a 'gold' member!) Lance finished enclosing the fernery to make it an aviary as we planned.

So we spent last weekend getting some beautiful little finches and canaries and putting in nesting boxes and perches. We even got a lovely little pond with a cascading waterfall. It's so beautiful and peaceful and you can hear the birds throughout the house. The birds love it and have already started to build their nests.

I love when the mists come on to water the ferns - like having a little rainforrest. Lance has set it up so they come on twice a day automatically. Such a clever man!

Then came the realisation - canaries eat ferns!!!! So we have to catch the canaries (which isn't gonna be easy) and replace them with some more little harmess finches. I thought about using my fish net... but Lance is right - it's way too small. So I'm off to the petshop to get a bird net and find out how hard it really is to catch birds in our huge fernery... hmmmmm

Another challenge - we found out we have a cat who comes and sits on top of the shadecloth trying to find a way to eat our birds - you can imagine how he eyes the feast which he cant reach. So Lance is gonna have to put some extra bird wire to keep our little mini rainforrest safe.

So our house is on its way to becoming a zoo - yep we have mice (who are gonna have babies!), two dogs, tropical fish and lotsa birds. I think holidays away are gonna definitely require a good housesitter (good thing I have a big family!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home